Monday, January 21, 2013

Lentil and Kale Soup

Can you tell that I have been loving Kale lately? Almost every other meal that I have made includes Kale.

Chris is a professional scrambled-egg maker and he has been using fried Kale in his eggs every morning. So if you're looking for a healthier option for breakfast, you could always add some Kale to your eggs!

Anyways, this is a SUPER-BUDGET-FRIENDLY and delicious recipe! The website that it is from calculated it to be $0.91 per serving! Now thats a deal!  It's worth a try just because it is so cheap!


Lentil & Kale Soup 
Serves 6

Ingredients: 
2 tablespoons ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil
1 cup of lentils
1 cup of brown rice
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
One bunch of kale, washed and stems cut out (fold in half, and cut the stem right out). Cut into bite sized pieces.
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste

Directions:
The night before, soak the lentils and rice in plenty of water at room temperature. Drain and rinse.  In a large pot, heat the oil/ghee until hot. Add the onion and cook for about five minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer.  Add 8 cups of water, the lentils and rice, and the thyme and cook for about 40 minutes, or until the rice and lentils are tender and cooked all the way. Add the kale, vinegar and salt to taste. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until the kale is cooked to your preference. I like mine to be soft, but not too mushy.  Serve and enjoy!  


Recipe credit: 

My wonderful sister-in-law, Amanda, gave me this recipe, so thank you!  
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/11/the-healthy-1-menu-peasant-lentil-kale-soup.html




2 comments:

  1. I take it that you liked it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious Da! I'm having kale in my salad today for lunch...maybe I'll try kale in my eggs tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete